Psychological Assessment Specialist Q&A
At Mind-Body Care in Mountain View CA, our clinicians are experienced in conducting psychological assessments. Contact us for better mental health. We are conveniently located at 2685 Marine Way, Mountain View, CA 94043. For more information, please call us or request an appointment online.
Table of Contents:
Mental health is incredibly important. Good mental health is needed to appreciate all of the beauty in life and to see beyond the negativity by which we are constantly bombarded. The ability to appreciate negative circumstances for the positivity they bring is not an easy feat but can be attained when in the right state of mind. Starting this process can be difficult, but therapists are trained to help their clients improve their mental health and thought patterns.
Psychological assessments are a series of questionnaires, interviews, and other forms of assessment that measure a person’s current mental state and provide information about their history or potentiality for certain behaviors and conditions. This can include things like the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) or the Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory (MCMI). In psychology, the most common psychological assessments are used to diagnose and classify mental disorders, and to provide information about a person’s functioning and development. The most common forms of psychological assessments are questionnaires and interviews. Questionnaires are sets of questions that are designed to measure a person’s current feelings and behaviors. The clinician or therapist asks the questions, while the patient answers them as truthfully as they can.
The main purpose of psychological assessments is to gain a better understanding of a person and the driving factors behind their behavior. This includes better understanding a person’s strengths and weaknesses, identifying potential problems with cognitions and emotional reactivity, and determining the best plan of action for remediation. Psychological evaluations measure an individual’s functioning at a specific point in time and provide a summarization of a person. Psychological testing is a formal process that requires extensive training and expertise and is always performed and interpreted by a mental health professional. It is used to:
– Assess various aspects of a person’s functioning
– Observe social, language, and communication skills
– Identify problematic behaviors
– Determine the underlying cause of certain behaviors
Assessments that Mind-Body Care provides include:
– ADHD — Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is commonly diagnosed in children; it is important for parents who have a child with ADHD to understand the condition so they can better meet their needs.
– Educational/Learning Disability — Learning disabilities are often diagnosed when a child attends school, but they may also be diagnosed earlier if the parents notice their child is not developing at a normal pace.
– Emotional and Behavioral — Emotional outbursts and negative behavior patterns are difficult to deal with and often require a professional assessment to determine the underlying factors involved.
Pre-Surgical Psychological Evaluation for Spinal Cord Stimulators — Surgery is a big decision, one that can significantly change one’s day-to-day life. A psychological evaluation can help determine an individual’s readiness for the procedure and the subsequent changes and challenges that may arise.
– Pre-Adoption Psychological Evaluation — Adopting a child is an exciting time; it also comes with many big life changes. A pre-adoption psychological evaluation can help both new and experienced parents prepare for welcoming a new member of the family into their home.
– Asylum Evaluations
– Fitness for Duty Evaluation
At Mind-Body Care, we do not prescribe medication, however, we do provide psychotherapy for ADHD as well as for emotional/behavioral issues after assessment.
We do work closely with prescribers to provide a collaborative and team approach to clients’ treatment goals.
If you or someone you love needs a psychological evaluation, come to Mind-Body Care. Call us today to book an appointment online with our psychological assessment specialist, we are conveniently located at 2685 Marine Way, Mountain View, CA 94043. We serve clients from Mountain View CA, Palo Alto CA, Menlo Park CA, Redwood City CA, Stanford CA, Los Altos CA, Mountain View, CA Sunnyvale CA, and Cupertino CA. We look forward to serving you!